From:
Carole Jernigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 14:44:56 -0700
I sympathize with the breastfeeding advocate who is
trying to deal with a negative attitude regarding
breastfeeding in a nursery nurse (sorry, I don't
recall the name of the lady who wrote the post).
Regardless of this nurses' own feelings toward
breastfeeding, as a health care professional, she is
still obligated to be an advocate for her patient and
the patient's desires as to the way her baby is fed.
This means if she cannot/will not assist with
breastfeeding, she is morally obligated, as a
PROFESSIONAL, to find someone who is willing to help
her patient with it.  Furthermore, she is also
obligated, as a PROFESSIONAL, to avoid intentionally
doing things with the baby that she knows could
interfere with breastfeeding, such as offering bottles
of ABM, giving Baby a pacifier, etc., or going against
a mother's requests regarding feedings.
Attitudes such as these among HCP's, and any others
who pride themselves on being in a "helping" role,
really make my blood boil.  With the pride of helping
others comes the responsibility of knowing when your
own biases are poisoning your obligations to your
patients.
I am grinding my teeth...time for some deep breathing
exercises!
Had to ventilate!
Carole