From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:30:07 -0500
Civility Reminder!

Please take a minute to read and to consider your post for civility as you
send your notes to Lactnet, or to subscribers either off or on list.

Lactnet began in 1995, through the efforts of some dedicated
volunteers,  as a way for us to help each other with hard lactation cases
and issues. This is what we are here for now... and we need to think of
that with each post.  We need to work together and build each other up, not
tear each other down, or attack the beliefs or professions or those who
read this list as our colleagues.

Here is a note from a long-term subscriber...critics in this note refer to
those who nitpick, or pounce upon notes in an argumentative fashion, or who
post rudely or with undue criticism to others, either privately or
publicly. The old adage, united we stand, divided we fall seems to sum up
what is so important about this work we do to help moms and babies.  Let's
support each other, not tear each other down.  Email is so hard, because we
can take people's tones and misconstrue intent or attitude.

We lose energy with each negative comment.  Do we want this ?

Please take time to be civil to your fellow subscribers,  and also to try
and be of genuine help to those who are requesting it..  keeping in mind
our own daily challenges and shortcomings.

".... Lactnet went so long  without succumbing to the pitfalls of other
groups. I try to see what the "critics" are trying to do.  I usually think
that they lack self
confidence, so they read the posts from others with an eye to picking
something to challenge so that they look superior.  Maybe they aren't
capable of discerning the spirit of a post, but see only the minute details
that they choose to
pounce on. There is a lot of "posturing."

Recently I read a few days of posts from 1997, and was amazed at the
genuine help that we gave to each other.  One could ask a question and
reveal what she did in a case, and no one attacked her as incompetent of
wrong headed.  There wasn't always agreement, but there was maturity.

A couple of our state legislators have begun a "Civility Campaign."  They
are disturbed by the lack of civility and co-operation that they see
increasing in the legislative bodies.  They asked each member of the House
and Senate to sign a pledge to treat each other civilly and with respect.
I hope that it is effective.  Perhaps the harshness on Lactnet is a
reflection of a general growing incivility in the culture (s).  "

Let us work to make Lactnet civil and respectful, and also to keep the
discussions intense and fruitful.

Kind regards,

Lactnet-administrators.

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html