From:
"Sara D. Furr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 23:18:11 -0500
Meg asked if anyone had yet read the AAP New Mother's Guide to
Breastfeeding.  I had the opportunity to read an advance copy of this book.
It is absolutely fantastic!  I honestly believe it should be required
reading for all pediatricians!  I know, I know, it is meant to be a "new
mother's" guide FROM the AAP not FOR the AAP.  But truly, if every
pediatrician read this book, plus a good number of family practitioners and
OB/GYNs, it could change the way the medical community views many aspects of
breastfeeding now considered outside of the mainstream.  And breastfeeding
initiation and duration rates in the US would skyrocket!

The book even Weissingerizes the way it describes formula fed versus
breastfed infants saying, "A formula-fed baby has ____the chance of
contracting _______ as a breastfed baby during the breastfeeding period" and
lists a variety of conditions which apply.  The book also discusses the
normalcy of breastfeeding beyond one year and why this is beneficial.
Tandem nursing is discussed as an option some mothers choose and the book
discusses why this can be helpful in some families.

This book promotes the importance of early and frequent mother-infant
contact, rooming in, breastfeeding on demand, avoiding supplementation,
contacting La Leche League and consulting an IBCLC.  The book encourages
mothers to extend their maternity leave as long as possible, or consider
part-time work or job sharing in order to be with their baby often in the
early months of the baby's life.

The book strongly promotes exclusive "breastfeeding as the sole source of
nutrition for infants for the first six months; breastfeeding in combination
with solid foods from ages seven to twelve months; and continued
breastfeeding thereafter for as long as mutually desired by mother and
baby."  The book is promotes child-led weaning and is supportive of mothers
who choose to breastfeed toddlers and preschoolers, noting that while the
nutritional contribution of breastfeeding gradually diminishes, "the
emotional and immunologic benefits of the nursing relationship continue"
until breastfeeding ends.

The one thing not actually promoted by this book is cosleeping but the book
does not condemn it either.  This is presented as an option some mothers
choose and guidelines for safe cosleeping are discussed.  So I see this book
as a great leap forward.

As an LLL Leader, I was very pleased to see the numerous references to La
Leche League throughout this fantastic book.  I highly recommend it as a
valuable addition to your library, Meg!

Sara Furr
Lincoln, Nebraska USA