From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 19:36:41 -0400
Carolyn,

What an interesting thesis! I hope you present it at ILCA and/or publish it in the Journal of Human Lactation. Please keep us informed.

I've worked with many pregnant and breastfeeding women with very large breasts, and rarely there are apparent defects in the glandular structure. More often, there is just a LOT of glanduar tissue (in dairy animals, the weight of the mammary gland is predictive of volume produced) making milk, and containing all of the tissue so the baby can effectively GET it is the hard part. However, the ones that don't want to breastfeed never make it to my office, so my population is skewed. I've seen more non-working small breasts than large ones, now that I think of it.

p.s. my shirt of the day is LLL Texas/WIC of Texas BF conference, 1996 - cute design. Thanks to Deborah Eahrhardt!

Linda Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Dayton OH