From:
Pardee Hinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 20:47:32 -0500
Happy Holidays, lactnet friends!

I would like some information on two meds-----Tom Hale and others in-the-know:

1)  The wonderful neonatologist who is medical director of our lactation center
(also a member, including committee member, of ABM) wants to know exactly how
reglan works to increase a mother's milk supply.  He has seen it work with his
long-term pumping mothers who often need a boost to help keep up supply but does
not understand how it works.  I don't know either.

He also wants to know where the FDA is on this use of reglan.  The point here
being that we can't do a formal QA study on something that is not approved for
the particular use in question.

I have shared the old 198--- Pediatrics article with him.

2)  A mother called today (she is a pharmacist) reporting that she began
trandate on Sun. because her blood pressure had not gone down as much as
expected after delivery.  By Tuesday her infant, who had been breastfeeding
well, began scrunching up his nose, turning his head and crying when offered the
breast.  He consistently behaved this way--body language very clear that there
was some unpleasant scent.  Mom thought she had BO or something.  Then
remembered the trandate and stopped taking it.  By this afternoon baby was back
on the breast nursing happily.

Does trandate cause mother's milk to have an unpleasant scent?

Thank you for any information you can share on this.  I want to get back to the
doc and to the pharmacist-mom.

Pardee Hinson, MPH, IBCLC
Charlotte, NC  [log in to unmask]