From:
Hannah Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:26:36 -0000
> Moms from "breastfeeding cultures" do experience challenges with
> breastfeeding, particularly where we are becoming more urbanised and
> breaking away from extended family support.

The only mother I came across in my little corner of rural Africa who had a
perceived problem with breastfeeding was an English speaking lady who had
trained as a teacher and lived for a while in the capital city.
Mind you, having bleated on for a couple of posts about how wonderful the
breastfeeding was (and, I pray, still is), I need to make it quite clear
that there was a lot of misery and suffering in other aspects of these the
reproductive lives of these women. I've spent most of the years since I've
come back putting straight people who go all dreamy when I mention my work
'how wonderful! - natural childbirth - they do it so easily, don't they?'
etc etc
Hannah
(midwife and National Childbirth Trust breastfeeding counsellor, UK)