From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:13:15 +0200
Jean is nomail and also having difficulty posting, so this is forwarded from
her.
Rachel Myr, typing this in Kristiansand while listening to Marsha Walker
being interviewed LIVE on radio by Arly Helm - what a wonder this internet
thing is!

Jean's message:
Thank you Nikki for your support and advance promo for the theme issue of
the May JHL. As to your comment

<Of course, we can't or won't deal with why laboring women get water-logged
in the first place, can we now? >,

Rest assured that a thorough reading will show that I found a way to back up
my observations on the effect of fluid overload on the postpartum breast
beyond the shadow of a doubt. I did it with research published in OB and
Anesthesiology journals, in the very words of physicians in two of the
professions responsible for the decisions to administer fluids and what
amounts to administer.

I have dealt with its effect on engorgement in no uncertain terms and I have
challenged the researchers who write about engorgement , and the readers who
depend heavily on the word of those researchers to formulate evidence-based
practice, to start taking the amount of IV fluid administered into
consideration as a significant variable!

I believe the case study by Voni Miller and Jan Riordan very clearly
illustrates the concept of overhydration, its effect on the breast even
before actual physiologic engorgement sets in, and ways to deal with it.
I have taken the liberty to speak for them in that I know they too feel very
strongly about this issue.

I corresponded with them while the theme issue was being prepared, and
recently had the pleasure of meeting Voni personally at her local affiliate,
CALCA. I do not believe Jan is on Lactnet due to her heavy schedule. (I note
she is to be a speaker at the LLLI physicians seminar this summer, and of
course, we are momentarily awaiting the third edition of the familiar book
of which she is now the sole editor. She traveled to my city over 30 years
ago and befriended me and my local colleagues while pursuing her goal to
write authoritatively about the care of the breastfeeding dyad. Our
profession owes so very much to her esteemed and ongoing contributions.)

I would welcome feedback from Lactnetters, whether negative or positive.

Jean ([log in to unmask])