From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 06:45:23 -0500
Sometimes I point out that the first couple of months are hard work to BF a
new baby, but that it gets better and more rewarding.  Then I also point out
that the first 2 months with a formula fed new baby is just as hard :-)
It's the new baby thing, not the breastfeeding!  Moms seem to get that.

But I deal with many of the same frustrations as you.  Everyone does "both".
I can't seem to convince people that you can add bottles later, after a
month when you are getting ready to go back to work.  I hear the myth of
"not enough" in the early days until I want to scream.  Then by the time the
baby is a few weeks old, getting "both", there usually isn't really "enough"
because the whole cycle has been screwed up from the git go.  Most
frustrating because a few weeks before she goes back to work, most moms
aren't willing to do the work to rebuild/redeem her supply.  I tell them
all, just nurse for the first month.  It makes your supply more robust and
stable, so it can withstand the assault of going back to work.  But most
babies I see are weaned by 2-3 months.
Aaarrrgggghhh as Jack says.

And sadly I don't have time to invest in getting better results because of
the pull of taking care of all the sick kids.  I have a better understanding
of why doctors offer bottles so easily :-(  I've been a pediatric nurse
practitoner for 10 years now, in what I fondly call a "medicaid mill."   I
guess the way I have resolved it in my mind is to think at least they got
some colostrum and nursed for x weeks.  And then every once in a while a mom
comes in with a very healthy toddler, who I don't see often because the
toddler  is so well and she's "still nursing" and I want to cheer!

Sincerely, Pat in SNJ