From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 1996 17:45:04 -0500
Hi, all:  It's bad enough when I encounter misinformation among hcp's who
are not supportive of bf, but now a colleague who is one of the
staunchest advocates I know has challenged the issue of duration of
feedings.  She saw a mother who had sore nipples in the first week, who
reported that in the hospital a nurse had told her to let the baby finish
the first breast before switching.  When I told my colleague that this
was correct, she said that her husband, who does research on human milk,
said that the baby gets all it needs in the first 10 minutes, and after
that, the baby is "just playing" at the breast.  Well, I can easily show
her references about duration of feeding not correlating to sore nipples,
but I couldn't find any good references for the nutritional benefit of
letting baby finish first breast first.  I am aware of the
foremilk-hindmilk issue, but I just need some research-based data to give
her.  TIA, Alicia. [log in to unmask]