Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 02:18:51 -0400
Why not just get a lead level drawn on the mother and baby every
so often?  My son had levels that were on the high side (highest
was 19) but we managed to get them down again.  What about
getting a venipuncture level drawn on the mother and a
fingerstick on the baby every once in a while to keep an eye on
how they are doing?  This is what we do around here for a high
risk child.
Before I got pregnant, I had a level drawn, just to make sure (it

was fine, at 2).  My kids have a screening done (that is what our

pedi calls the fingerstick, if it comes back high, he has a
venipuncture drawn, just to ensure accuracy) every 6 months.
Because my son's levels were high, we went to just having the
veinpuncture (this nest time, though, he will have a
fingerstick:).  BTW, they can use EMLA on the child, in an effort

to reduct the trauma somewhat.  My son had the EMLA applied, a
few hours before I expected him to get hungry, then I would feed
him and they would do the draw (had to go for a scalp vein
because he inherited his veins from me, and only the scalp veins
were substantial enough to get enough for testing) as I held him
still.  He would jump a little, but it was not too bad, I think
that pulling the occlusive dresing that held the EMLA on was the
worst part (I solved this by getting some Detachol and taking it
with me to the hospital, it worked okay, just clean the area off
well immediately after using it).