From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 06:45:16 -0500
Someone wrote: March of Dimes Walk America Subway campaign

This morning I was lucky enough to get a seat on the "Q" train, and found
myself staring at the March of Dimes ad,with all the corporate sponsors,
beseeching subway riders to help give babies the best start. Naturally,
breastfeeding was NOT mentioned. WHY oh WHY can't someone with access to
all this money piggyback breastfeeding onto their cause???  If you are
interested in WHO the corporate sponsors were for the MOD campaign and ideas
about what to do, please email me.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts the corporate sponsors are INFANT FORMULA
COMPANIES -- they support MOD big time to get reflected "feel good"
credibility, just like Ronald McDonald houses (though I'm not equating the
health damage of a Big Mac to the health damage of formula).
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University