From:
Susan Horein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 14:02:39 -0600
Diving and breastfeeding has been discussed before and you can find some
info in the archives - esp. a post by me dated 29 Sep 1997.

If there is residual nitrogen in the body after a dive it is perhaps also
present in breastmilk (probably very small amounts for *recreational* dive
profiles), but I cannot imagine what harm that would cause to the
*digestive* system of the baby at 1 ATM -- maybe more like "carbonated"
breastmilk :-)  [just kidding!].  One might even speculate that it could
help the diver to "off-gas" by nursing :-)  The nitrogen is of concern to
the *diver* because it is in the *circulatory* system and tissues at
pressures greater than 1 ATM (atmosphere).

I'm not the expert, though.  For expert advice regarding the physiology of
diving, please phone Divers Alert Network (DAN, a non-profit organization
based at Duke University Medical Center in the US which specializes in
hyperbaric medicine information) -- 919-684-2948.  (Like LLL, anyone can
call for info at any time.  Also like LLL, if a diver appreciates DAN's
presence, she can support DAN by her membership.)

I always caution any diver (lactating or not) to take her dive training,
experience, and fitness level into consideration when planning her dives.

Susan Horein,
LLLL, amateur diver, not affiliated with DAN other than by membership.

Susan Horein
Wisconsin, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]