Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:48:47 -0600
Last fall, I filled in for a professor on maternity leave, and taught 8
weeks of Human Sexuality to college students.  I was just given their
"reflection notebooks" to read last night.

Two points were repeated over and over:

1.  I was too biased in favor of breastfeeding and natural childbirth.
And a couple other hot-button issues for Lactnet which I won't name :)
I had assumed I was hired for my expertise, and that I should teach
based on the evidence, but they were quite offended that I didn't take
up the "benefits" of artificial feeding, unnecessary interventions in
childbirth, and so on.

2.  Several of them literally refused to believe the benefits of
breastfeeding--they were too good to be true.  But many, many of them
remembered the discussion of formula recalls, and would breastfeed at
least for six months, so to avoid formula that might have ground glass
in it.

I am still wrapping my brain around the bias issue.  It is a part of
university culture that simply didn't exist when I was a student.

Lynn in MO