From:
Megan Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:15:16 -0500
Dear Johanna and all,

I too was excited over this positive article, AND the fabulous picture of
Heather (she's leaning against her kitche wall entangled in a length of
telephone curly wire, just grinning).

This article caught the attention of a mom in Southern Chester County in
PA who called the hotline number listed at the end of the article: she had
been having 7 weeks of deep breast pain and a very fussy/gassy infant
since birth. When she called Heather, it was obvious right away after
questioning that she had a nasty case of thrush (baby too, lots of white
spots to boot). Mom called OB right away, but ended up meeting to many
challenges to be treated so she got a presciption for Nystatin for her and
baby. I suggested she ask the OB about Diflucan (it sounded like ductal
thrush too) but they refused to treat since "it was not safe with
breastfeeding." (!!!! Um HELLO, does your office not have a copy of Hale
2002?)
fortunately she said just 24 hrs on the topical has dramatically lessened
her pain/itching and infant is a "different baby."

Thanks to the article, this world has one more mom who made it though a
breastfeeding challenge before giving up-- she said the hospital where she
delivered offered no help #'s, which is frustrating considering Nursing
Mothers Inc provides them with free breastfeeding gift bags for new moms &
literature. The nurses seem to forget to grab our stuff. Funny how those
Formula Gift bags always seem to make it out of the storage closet
though...

Anyway, Happy Holidays to you all.

Megan