From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:07:03 +0200
Hello Jacqulyn,

Five days after the unmedicated home birth of our third daughter I got a
really high fever. After two weeks with a fever of 40-41 degrees Celsius
(use Linda's site to convert this to Fahrenheit... haha) I was brought to
the hospital. I did not go sooner, because I feared my little girl and I
would be separated and she would be bottle fed. Once admitted, I got a broad
spectrum antibiotic, that topped of the symptoms. Because of that, they
couldn't find anything, so after five or six days I was dismissed. Back
home, I sank deep again, almost immediately: reduced consciousness, not
eating, not drinking, just putting an arm around my baby and trying to keep
her comfortable at breast, although I wasn't able to really look after her.
When my husband got home that evening, he saw us and rushed us off to the
hospital again. At the ER, they tried to find out what was wrong with me and
although they couldn't find anything, it was very obvious that I was
severely dehydrated: fully feeding, sweating because of the extremely hot
Summer and hardly drinking. They gave me an IV and my husband sort of saved
my life, because he suggested different diagnostics than they were using
until then. In those days, he was working for Organon and he knew that his
colleague had just delivered new diagnostica to that hospital and suggested
they would use those for me. They did and found out I had puerperal fever, a
group-A streptococ, that was dangerous, but could be treated with
traditional penicilline through an IV. For one and a half or two days, I was
so sick that my sweet girl was taken to the neonatal ward. After that time,
she came back and I started feeding her around the clock, relactating in
fact, because there was hardly any milk left. I spent two weeks on the IV in
the hospital, in a room for just me and with her next to me. The first few
days, I got four litres of water in my IV and still hardly urinated, so the
situation had been really life threatening. I was so happy to have Hannelore
with me again and she and I were almost constantly together, she in my arms,
on my tommy, her head between my breasts or feeding. Nurses sometime
slightly opened the door and thinking I was asleep, they said: "Look, she is
feeding all the time; they are like this, together, hours in a row!" That
caused a full production in only one or two days; I knew what to do: I had
successfully breastfed the elder two.
It was then, that I found out how much women 'borrowed' their babies from
the nurses and would only feed when it was time or when they got
'permission'. That hospital experience is in fact the start of my career as
a breastfeeding peer counsellor and (hopefully) IBCLC after this Summer's
exam.

Reading your story, I would guess this mom could do the same, considering
her condition. Puerperal fever is also a blood poisoning, so it should be
possible. Let the doctors make sure she gets compatible medication; maybe
Thomas Hale can shed some light on it...? Good luck!

Warmly,

Marianne Vanderveen, Netherlands