From:
Mary Broadfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 06:21:39 +0100
yes there are Scottish lactnetters - though I'm lucky to have time to even
skim posts these days.  I am also one of the authors of the paper referred
to.  Yes Scotland's rates are low.  Actually I'm quite proud of the increase
we have achieved.  The UK 5-yearly 'Infant Feeding' survey had picked up
increasing rates in 1995, but had concluded that they were largely due to
increasing maternal age.  Our work shows that some of the increase is due to
increasing maternal age, but there is a real underlying increase.

Scotland is also fortunate in having several sources of data on
breastfeeding, all collected within the health service as part of routine
care.  Jane Britten and I have written up this, and it can be found at the
web-site below, along with much more.

http://www.show.scot.nhs.uk/breastfeed/

Mary Broadfoot, Paisley, Scotland
Breastfeeding Network Supporter

and (work hat on)
Information Officer, Infant Feeding Data
PEACH Unit