Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:40:42 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (50 lines)
OMG, this is wrong on so many levels.  As a mother and citizen I am horrified.  How are the parents reacting?

What about providing the parents with information of the risks versus benefit and letting them make the decision?  What are the rates of HIV in Boston area mothers that they feel this measure is worth the risk of not breastfeeding?  What about insisting on exclusive breastfeeding if mother fails to test or tests + (the literature could support that as well).  What happens to the baby once the mother gets home and then begins breast feeding... if the mom is in fact HIV + and the baby's gut has been compromised ?

In at least 2 different southern NH hospitals they were not doing this as of a year ago. I also have heard no buzz about it locally and I am on some parental rights list where I think it would have come up if it were happening here.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the news and incase you wondered, my angst is not directed towards you.

Jodie Lucci,

LLL Leader in NH mother of one child that reacts to cows milk protein and aunt to 3 who do and who is so glad her MA births predated 2008

On Jul 13, 2010, at 8:36 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> AAP recommendations in 2008 are for all mothers to receive HIV testing. However some mothers decline. To those of you working in NICU's or in newborn nurseries, do you withhold breastfeeding/breastmilk to babies until there is a negative HIV status? Currently in our NICU if we do not have a negative HIV status we do not allow babies to receive breastmilk from their mothers. Since we do not provide donor milk babies are receiving formula. I'm looking to see if this is a prevalent practice. 
> 
> 
> 
> Dr. Wight, I would love your input! 
> 
> 
> 
> Lisa Enger RN BSN IBCLC CEIM 
> 
> Boston, MA 
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2