From:
Jodie Lucci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:40:42 -0400
OMG, this is wrong on so many levels.  As a mother and citizen I am horrified.  How are the parents reacting?

What about providing the parents with information of the risks versus benefit and letting them make the decision?  What are the rates of HIV in Boston area mothers that they feel this measure is worth the risk of not breastfeeding?  What about insisting on exclusive breastfeeding if mother fails to test or tests + (the literature could support that as well).  What happens to the baby once the mother gets home and then begins breast feeding... if the mom is in fact HIV + and the baby's gut has been compromised ?

In at least 2 different southern NH hospitals they were not doing this as of a year ago. I also have heard no buzz about it locally and I am on some parental rights list where I think it would have come up if it were happening here.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the news and incase you wondered, my angst is not directed towards you.

Jodie Lucci,

LLL Leader in NH mother of one child that reacts to cows milk protein and aunt to 3 who do and who is so glad her MA births predated 2008