Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 21:00:24 GMT
Today I saw a pt in our clinic.  Little milk with first baby who was admitted for dehydration, LC had told her not to supplement.  He is 3 now.
With this baby she has new hopes to breastfeed.  I did inpt. rounds with her on Saturday.  Baby  was latching like a champ.  She started pumping 6x a day.  I told her to supplement baby 1/2 oz here and there as needed.  And we would see what her body would do with her milk supply.
Today baby is one week old.  She has pumped only drops.  Baby was mildly jaundiced.  Peds doc told her to feed him more.  She is feeding him formula.  Crying a lot during the visit.  Mentioned the 'ghastly' sns she heard about from a friend.  I told her I would support her whatever she decided.  She was ready to stop working/hoping for a milk supply.  Not interested in reglan or sns.  We talked about the parenting umbrella being bigger than the feeding method, how she can still hold baby skin to skin as much as she wants, let him nurse for comfort.   She hugged me when she left.
I know I was in the right place at the right time today.
Susan in Minnesota
rn ibclc