From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 08:47:38 GMT
>I agree with Jan. I didn't notice the ad, but it seems like it is, after
all, just an ad, right?
>Magda, if you're still feeling uncomfortable with this, look at it this
way: Virtually *every* product in the JHL is advertised because the product
may be of use to the readers.  Would you feel the same way if the journal
advertised a breast pump?<

Well, irrationally I would -- and do -- feel uneasy about the pump ads (I sigh
as I type cos I know youall disagree with me on this and I knew you would
disagree with me about the scale).

I have to say, this sounds similar to the arguement I hear that goes:  'We
advertise our replacement feeding milks in professional journals because
professionals need to have this information and it is a tool for them and it
doesn't influence women.'

Like replacement feeding milks, scales and pumps are tools.  Like the milks, I
would say there is a danger of their presence and use becoming normalised.  I am
not talking about Barbara Wilson-Clay's compromised babies, I am talking about
everyday normal babies and life.

I know you all disagree with me.  But what about this for a proposition?  Every
area of practice needs a spread of views and opinions.  I will sit here, in my
position of scepticism about these artifacts, croaking away my refrain of
caution, warning and unease.  You may find it irritating, but if this 'voice' is
lost, then I believe a texture to the entire field is also lost.  I feel the
same way about others who post here with their views on certain things.  At
times I think 'oh no, here we go again', but essentially we need a
multi-dimensionsl understanding of what we are doing and we only obtain that by
including all the fringes in our consideration.

Re:  the journal.  As someone who had to go and get a money order in US dollars
to subscribe (and that is not particularly cheap or easy)
after years of seeing only a few reprints (becasue no library I know of
subscribes) and *knowing* that a journal *devoted*
to breastfeeding (well, I was mistaken there, 'cos it is devoted to lactation)
existed somewhere in the world was in itself a powerful piece of knowledge, I
stand by my first reaction of disappointment.  I guess the pump ads weren't so
much of a downer because I had expected them (living not so far from the
outskirts of the real world as you might think!).

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK