From:
Vickie Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 08:43:45 -0900
Hi, lactnuts!

What would I do without you all???

On one of my lists, a list devoted to "bigmoms" such as myself, one of my
fat sisters has been read the riot act by her HMO.  She has a toddler who
doesn't like to eat solids, yet nurses up a storm. This kid is well
nourished, growing appropriately, etc. etc. etc.

She was told, however, by the HMO nurse, that breast milk deteriorates as a
child grows, and that she needs to force the kid to eat solids (basically by
refusing nursing and making the kid "go hungry" until they eat something
"real").  Basically she was told that this kid cannot possibly get enough
nutrition "just from breast milk".

What do you think? With a kid like this, do you "force" the solids issue?
IS breast milk at that age (I'm guessing halfway through the second year of
life -- about 18 months or so) intended to be the sole source of nutrition?
How important ARE solids at that age?

I've never experienced this, having kids who loved both breast milk and
solids, so I'm kind of at a loss.

Thanks, all!

Vickie Miller
mom, doula,