From:
Tina Kimmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 21:34:16 -0700
Dear Friends,

I just retired from working as a Research
Scientist for the State of California's Maternal
and Child Health Program. I did some
breastfeeding research there, and I felt I could
make a difference in the lives of thousands of
mothers and infants.

For example, I found a powerful correlation in
the California Maternal Infant Health Assessment
between length of skin-to-skin contact at birth,
with duration of exclusive breastfeeding (as well
as with lack of maternal depression). I was
preparing to disseminate this information to a
wide audience which included hospital
administrators.

However, the program got new administration, and
breastfeeding research is not on their radar. I
was asked not to spend any more time on these
topics. I do enjoy resarching the rising rate of
early-term deliveries etc, but I could no longer
justify my 5-hour daily commute, so I accepted an
early retirement.

Now I am looking for another opportunity to do
policy research on breastfeeding (and closely
related topics). Can you suggest organizations
which dedicate their resources to this important
endeavor?

Thank you!

Tina

Tina Kimmel, PhD, MSW, MPH