From:
Karen Graham LLL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2008 15:06:36 -0500
I would like your AD suggestions for our OB practice to attract patients that:

are interested in natural childbirth, taking care of their health issues in order to birth a healthy baby, and breastfeeding. Non-smokers, not on illegal drugs, who don't want to be induced at 36 weeks, don't want epidurals, and would like a VBAC.

What we have now: teen moms that smoke, women that weigh 300-400 + pounds, women that want a repeat c-section, woman that want to go on disability because they are pregnant, woman that do not want to breastfeed.

What our ad says now is that my husband is board certified in OB/Gyn, has a certified lactation consultant and doula, does minimally invasive incontinence surgery, endometrial ablations, and treats all stages of  women's health care.

Each OB patient gets a handout before they have their first visit on the importance of breastfeeding, about the dangers of inductions, circumcisions, and the importance of having a supportive woman with them during labor.  We provide a doula free of charge to anyone that wants one.

AD space is limited, wording must be concise because I do need room to say that he does surgeries and what insurance we take. Any ideas would be appreciated. Remember it can't be considered offensive!

What we are fighting in the hospital- babies that were breastfeeding had an electric pump by the bedside by 12 hours (now it is by physician order only), women discharged  with nipple shields and no follow-up, women told by pediatrician to wean due to jaundice, women all giving supplemental bottles first day so baby doesn't starve (pediatrician and nurses). I am not on staff, but do hospital consults for "our patients". I am able to cut back on LLL as our town now has 2 other LLL leaders.

All the women in our practice get information on LLL meetings (no one comes) or they come once, our doula gives childbirth classes (she was a lay midwife in the Philippines to the very very poor- saw so many healthy babies she birthed die due to formula). Our office has breastfeeding magazines, and literature, and very nice art. Our nurse breastfed her 4 children so she encourages moms also.  I am at a loss as to what more we can do.  Last month the C-section rate was 50% due to repeats and breech twins or breech babies (which women don't want to birth anymore).  Now that my homebirthed, breastfed, home educated children are almost all fledged, I will have more time to give to follow-up. The draw back is that my husband is a solo practitioner that is on call 365-7-24. So I need to watch my time.  Right now my husband is doing double the births he did and we need to cut back.   TIA  Karen