Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 13:30:27 EDT
Ann says,
According to research by Barbara Ackerman and Paula Meier they recommend that
mothers with babies separated from them due to medical problems should start
pumping at 6 hours postpartum and then to pump 10-12x/day for 20 minutes with
a hospital grade double electric pump.
Now I understand the rationale here but for many a mother in the first 24+
hours PP the pumping is mainly stimulating the breast and maybe the flanges
will
be wet with colostrum but very little volume is seen.

Why don't you try pumping within an hour of the birth if mom & babe are going
to be separated?  I suspect you will see a major bolus of colostrum which
will then be good for several feeds for a preterm baby, and then gets mom off to
a good start with expressing her milk.

Several hospitals are doing this and are seeing major differences in the
amounts collected if moms pump w/in the first hour (I mean, is the only reason we
get a baby to breast in the first hour is because they are alert then?  Isn't
it because they actually GET something?? Then why wait to start pumping?) vs
if they start at 6 or 8 hours postpartum.

If you do try this, would love to hear your feedback.....I suspect this also
will be before edema has set in.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
Wheaton IL
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com