From:
Anna Gieschen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 1995 16:04:50 -0600
From:   SMTP%"[log in to unmask]" 24-NOV-1995 22:48:08.04
To:     AGIESCHE
CC:
Subj:

Date:         Thu, 23 Nov 1995 22:10:10 EST
Sender:       Discussion list for nurse researchers <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> Invalid RFC822 field - "(LMail V1.2a/1.8a) with
              BSMTP id 8914; Thu, 23 Nov 1995 13:50:25 -0500". Rest of header
              flushed.
Comments:     Resent-From: "NurseRes - Linda Q. Thede"
From:         "NurseRes - Linda Q. Thede" <[log in to unmask]>
To:           Multiple recipients of list NURSERES <[log in to unmask]>

Dear NurseRes members,

I have a friend who recently had a baby (and was sent home 18 hours after
delivery) and her baby developed jaundice.  The baby's bili level is 14 and
her pediatrician told her to "stop breast feeding....the breast feeding
would make the jaundice worse". When she consulted with the lactation
expert at the hospital, they advised her to continue the breast feeding.  When
my friend told the physician what the lactation consultant said, the physician
replied
"Oh those lactation people recommend breast feeding to anyone who has breasts".

I am a 'Med-Surg' type and no expertise in this area, however, it seems to
me that the breast milk would be beneficial to the baby.

I wondered if anyone could comment on this and possibly forward me a
reference on this.

Thanks in advance,
Mary