From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 08:56:52 EDT

Karen:

Emergency Relief in Sri Lanka
First Phase: As an example, our  emergency kits contained biscuits, =
lentils, tea, a tin of mackerel, soya  meat, dried lentils, coconut milk =
powder, protein drink powder, a baby's  bottle, baby milk powder and pain =
relief  tablets.

Save the Children is a NonGovernmental Organization that is highlighted as  a
UNICEF partner in their now-being drafted MidTerm Strategic Plan. UNICEF has
its own pamphlet on Emergencies which nowhere says that bottles and powdered
milk is part of a package, however it does say... under Health and Nutrition
-  first 6 to 8 weeks: " based on rapid assessments, provide child and
maternal feeding and support therapuetic and supplementary feeding programs with
the World Food Programme and NGO partners." Save the Children is one of those
NGO partners. Breastfeeding is mentioned in the Beyond Initial Response as
something UNICEF and partners would provide "messages" on: " Provide health and
nutrition education, including messages on the importance of breastfeeding and
 safe motherhood practices." My point, which I hope a group of us from
LLLI/WABA/ILCA will make in our statement to UNICEF in June, is that this is  sort
of both backwards and too little too late. It is also out of line with the
Global Strategy on Infant and Young Child Feeding and probably AFASS guidelines
as well. I wonder if the aid workers are actually doing those rapid
assessments  well enough to determine whether Acceptable, Feasible, Affordable,
Sustainable,  and Safe conditions are met. Now if the thought is that the infant has
been  orphaned, and there is no family member to nurse them, etc. it does get
tricky,  but a broad assumption that every family with an infant gets this
stuff is  something else. Thanks for your post, can I use that info as we work on
our  statement? If this is an education package for Teachers and it reflects
what  they are actually doing, then the babies are at risk and the kids are
getting  bad info...
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL, Brooklyn, USA