From:
Kirsten Blacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:31:13 -0800
'Warning: this may not be culturally appropriate everywhere, but goes over
well here.  I've started comparing breastfeeding for the first time, with
two virgins making love.  I doubt that many people have their most
skillfully executed, effective, satisfying sexual experience the first time.
Special, sure.  But supreme, with fireworks and music and total perfection?
I don't think so!
Still, not many people quit after one try, no matter how clumsy it was.  We
seem to have an instinct to persist, like we know there has to be more to it
than that first time would suggest"

I tried using this analogy once a while back in the conservative midwest and
it went down like the proverbial lead balloon.
So now when I teach BF class I ask the class who DROVE to the class today,
and remind them of the first time they got behind the wheel of a car, and
how clumsy they were (especially if they learnt on a manual transmission).
And remind them that they REALLY wanted to learn to drive so they kept at
it, and also that at least the CAR knew what to do! And then ask them how
much they had to think about driving when they drove in today.
Light bulbs go on over heads

Kirsten Blacker
perinatal educator RN
Rochester MN