Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 21:31:03 EST
I very rarely post, normally I just lurk and learn!  However, I have noted
the nipple confusion discussion with some interest and felt the need to share
my story.  After all, nipple confusion is the reason I am where I am today
and the reason I will someday be an IBCLC!  Several years ago when my
daughter was 10 days old, I had to take a final exam at college.  I was only
gone 2 hours, but pumped 2 oz. of milk.  The baby really didn't need it, but
my husband gave it to her anyway.  Well, when I returned home ready to nurse,
my daughter played around with the nipple, arched her back and screamed! No
matter what we did she would not nurse.  This went on all night and the next
day we consulted the hospital lactation consultant, pediatrician and nursing
staff, and finally LLL.  It got to the point we couldn't get my daughter to
take a bottle or the breast she was so confused!  It was only through
determination that we were able to get her latched on again after several
days.  The next week I went to my first LLL meeting, read everything I could
get my hands on, and the rest is history, so to speak.  So do I think nipple
confusion exists? I KNOW it exists.  Anyone who has spent several sleepless
days and nights with a confused baby KNOWS it exists.
Sorry so long,
Barb Cavanaugh RN, BSN, Accredited Volunteer, survivor of nipple confusion