From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 02:37:23 EDT
In a message dated 9/17/0 11:33:24 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<   I've just been telling a colleague about the 1977 Papua new Guinea (PNG)
legislation which requires a prescription from a health professional for
feeding bottles and associated paraphenalia, and what has happened since.
The legislation is: the Baby Feed Supplies (Control) Act of 1977.  <snip>
 However, when I visited PNG in early-1984, artificial baby milks (ABMs) were
displayed in optimal positions on the shelves of the trade stores
(supermarkets), creating a consumer awareness of the products.  I understand
from colleagues that this was equally true in the late-1980s.

    A 1984 amendment to the legislation added cups with perforated feeding
spouts to the other feeding devices requiring prescription.

    A 1999 report in the literature describes efforts to protect
breastfeeding in PNG from the 1970s to the late-1990s, including the passage
of the above law and its amendment.  The paper also gives up-to-date
information about the erosion of the effects of this law, with a rising
incidence of bottle-feeding, many of the bottles having been bought *without*
prescription or obtained from family or friends.  There appears to be poor
implementation of what initially seemed a world-leading piece of legislation.
 The remedy?  The authors recommend education and implementation.   >>

Am I missing something here? Why limit the sales of "paraphanalia" and allow
sales of the product? That is like limiting the sale of "illicit" drug
paraphanalia, while allowing the sale of such drugs? This sounds more like
politics than anything else, or did I *really* miss something?
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA