From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:13:52 -0500
Mary Kay asks: "But I thought that Lansinoh was purified in a way to

reduce  allergic reaction?"

I have heard this also, and I think the "purified lanolins" do have less
likelihood of causing an allergic reaction than the older versions did.
However, if a mom is using it, I still caution a mom who reports that she is
wool sensitive to discontinue its use if she notices any irritation. I have
seen some moms whose soreness cleared up when they stopped the Lansinoh or
Pure-Lan.  On the other hand, some wool sensitive moms use either with no
reaction.  My experience is that the stronger her reaction to wool, the more
likely she is to react to even the purified forms, but this is observational
only, no data to back it up.

It does bother me that so many nurses still tell moms to use it to "prevent"
soreness and I have seen it marketed as such in the past (don't know if they
still do).  This leads to 2 problems-first, unnecessary use of a foreign
product and second, moms just try using more when they have soreness instead
of seeking any help correcting what is really causing it.  In addition, it
perpetuates the "soreness is normal, get used to it" attitude.  Problem
where I worked was that it was in the docs' standing orders as a PRN product
(PRN-use as needed).  To me this meant, "Give it to the mom if she gets
sore.  Don't bother me for an individual order if the need comes up".  To
the nurses, it meant, "Give it to every mom just in case."

Winnie