From:
Carole Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:54:55 EDT
In Indiana we previously saw reluctance from hospitals in some areas  to have
WIC there.  We don't see this as often now. We believe two programs  may have
caused this change.
One is that we have a 4 hour program presented to any delivering hospital  in
the state that provides information on supporting breastfeeding  mothers in
the hospital. We discuss evidence based practice, streamline the  necessary
information for mothers, discuss possible influences of hospital  practices on
breastfeeding and how to handle them. We then talk with the  hospital about
working with WIC to form a task force or coalition, contacting  WIC when moms
deliver, services available for breastfeeding moms from WIC. This  program is
presented by a WIC IBCLC and a hospital nurse which provides  additional
acceptance. We found more reluctance when we offered similar  information form WIC
personnel who were seen as not "really understanding what  it is like in the
hospital."  This program has been very well accepted in  urban and rural areas of
our state. Some hospitals have asked for a follow up  program one year later to
see how they are doing and what more can be  done.
The second program is placing peer counselors in hospitals. I know several
other states have done this as well. But have having WIC PCs in the hospital
has  really caused hospital personnel to be more aware of lactation services
provided  by WIC.
Perhaps these ideas can help some other areas as well. You may contact me
personally also, if I can answer questions.
Carole Peterson
Indiana WIC program