From:
Theresa Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2008 18:02:22 -0500
I didn't get a copy of the post regarding cranial sacral therapy and research,
and I haven't had a chance to search the archives but I really wanted to
chime in on a case that I have at this time.
Baby is 8 wks of age. C/S delivery with vacuum. Feeding issues, unable or
refusing to latch well. GERD. I referred her to a cranial sacral therapist. She
said I was her last resort. She had seen everyone she could in three counties.
I suggested that she try relaxing in a bath tub and see if he would latch on his
own. I also suggested that she spend as much time as she can skin to skin
with him so he knows her chest is a safe place to be and that she isn't forcing
him to latch.
She had been doing finger feeding. Needed to supplement for awhile because
he was not gaining well and her production was going down. She also has a
very busy toddler almost hyperactive. She came to my support group and that
particular evening she and I were the only ones present.
Cranial sacral therapy is helping her baby relax and sleep better. I could see
that he was clenching and biting and she said he didn't feed well from a bottle
either. The therapist has shown her some techniques as well. She said that
she will get treatments for the toddler as well when she finishes with the baby.
She came into my office last week, said that her baby did latch in the bath
tub and she can get him to latch once a day some days. She has been
pumping and giving EBM. Has a supplemental nurser but states it is too
complicated for her to do by herself. I tried a nipple shield with a 5fr feeding
tube and syringe 30ml. He did latch and fed for 8 minutes before pulling away.
I usually don't like to use nipple shields but he also has a very high palate and
her nipples do not stand out very well.
I basically wanted to sing the praises of cranial sacral therapy. I would like to
learn some techniques as well. I think I could help alot of these baby's right
after birth if I knew it. But for now I am referring them.
Terri Klein RN IBCLC RLC