From:
Debbie Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 00:21:50 -0500
On 12/12/05, Judy Campbell wrote:
I knew a mother once who had an old history of body building, with a
strictly controlled diet regimen. She started with a supply issue, too.
With more calories, galactagogues, and pumping, she had an increase in
supply over a few days. I am wondering about the body building /calorie or
control aspect. I have known other moms who were very successful career
women, but it was so stressful for them to bf, they just couldn't do it.
Are these situations related? Does your client restrict her diet? Judy

The mom was not scrawny and thin like some moms I've seen who are very
strict with their diets during pregnancy.  She had fat stores on her hips
and thighs, and her arms were not sinewy or bony.  I asked if the mother was
eating to hunger and drinking to thirst, and she admitted she hadn't been
eating the best, particularly near the end of the week -- but this seemed to
be circumstantial, because she said all her time had been spent trying to
feed the baby.  I'm surprised that calorie intake would have that dramatic
of an impact on milk production, given the studies they did in Dutch (as I
recall) concentration camps and how the babies seemed to remain on target
for growth as if their mothers were well nourished.  Mother Nature certainly
does ensure for perpetuation of the species!

I am eager to hear the results of the hormone tests (including thyroid), as
well as whether or not she has any retained placenta.  I'll keep everyone
posted.  Thanks so much for your reply; any clues are helpful.

Debbie Gillespie