From:
Kathy Lilleskov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2012 11:12:22 -0400
1)Formula is not evil. Companies that market formula and convince women that it is superior to breast milk are evil.
2)Some babies may prefer the taste of formula. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that. It is entirely likely that at some point through modern engineering scientists will be able to invent a formula that is designed to taste better to a baby than breast milk. It is not evil to recognize this. Again, the problem comes with marketing that formula whether a baby thinks it tastes better or not. Like marketing Twinkies to children. They may taste yummy but they aren't superior to nutritious food.
3)Acknowledging and even applauding the life saving merits of formula to a mother who is forced to formula feed through whatever constellation of circumstances is an important message. When a mother says to me that she feels like she is giving her baby crack when she has to offer formula, an analogy I have heard on numerous occasions, it breaks my heart. Feeding your baby should be filled with joy. Formula is not poison and no mother who must use it shoud believe that she is offering her baby poison. It is necessary to support a mother who feels disappointed that her own body can not sustain her child's life but it is also necessary to help her realize that she is making a life affirming choice to give her baby formula when there is not enough breast milk.

Kathy Lilleskov RN IBCLC