From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:36:25 -0300

>I know a mom who has seizures and to safe guard herinfant she placed her in a large hard plastic carry all with a handle whenever she needed to carry her about the house (it is used for laundry or groceries).  This allowed her to carry her close to the floor incase she fell.  She also carried her on the side of her body that she was least likely to fall towards.  When other family members were not there to =
>help her or her husband was traveling, she slept directly on the floor with =
>the baby to safe guard against dropping the baby.

These are wonderful ideas, and I have found they work well for twins, as
well... I I may not have appreciated the PHN telling me I shouldn't
carry two babies up and down the stairs but I did appreciate her idea of
having supplies (including snacks!) on each level. Having two babies to
watch meant that one could fall while I was holding the other, so we all
moved to large, low surfaces. I spent a lot of time on the floor -- we
all slept there, I changed the babies there, etc. It is quite simple to
spend most of your time in a room or two that are safe and comfortable.
Less is really more, in this case -- a row of mattresses and a pile of
towels, blankets and pillows in a nearby closet is pretty much all any
baby needs outside of his mother's baby.
Jo-Anne