From:
Pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 14:50:26 -0500
Message text written by Lactation Information and Discussion
>And why would giving glucose water or anything else get rid of the mucous?
Where's the physiological sense in it?
Sounds like 'we've always done it this way so we're gonna carry on doing it
this way.'<

Hello Netters,  I remember well as a L&D (labor and delivery)andNursery
nurse many yrs. ago, giving GW (glucose water) to mucousy babies because
the theory was it would loosen up the mucous.  Not sure how, but we all
bought into it.  Then I remember moving to the east coast and dee-lee
suctioning every baby to make sure there was no mucous in the baby, a
routine in our L & D.  I truely think, Heather,  you are right in saying,
and in my own opinion that we have routines in hospitals that never change
and just keep getting handed down to the next generation (like wives tales
and  myths) with no thought, theory, research, NOTHING behind it.  You just
do it because "that is what we always do".  Sorta scary.  Just like giving
BF babies water to "flush out the bilirubin".    Have a good day all.
"Family Leave (nu bay-bee) definition:  Maternity leave that's not just for
women any more.  Shouldn't this be called "Family Arrival?"  by Mrs. Guide
to Business
Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection/Medela, Inc
Naperville, IL - robins are all chirping outside my window