From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:08:24 -0800
It makes me sick that I have to tell my Nutrition students that most babies
don't "need" baby formula or baby food because the industry has done such a
thorough marketing job.  These young adults are amazed that babies don't
need supplemental bottles of water or formula (gee, a woman's breast can
really nourish a baby?) OR that dipping a pacifier in honey is a problem!

After my first son, nearly nine years ago, I practically flew across the
room to stop my FIL from giving him Diet Coke when he was just a few months
old.  He couldn't understand why this might be a problem.  Unbelievable!
Now, after three kids, he made some off hand comment and my reply that our
kids have never had formula or baby food (other than the first who spit out
any baby food).  You would have thought I had molested my children from his
response (I'm serious).

Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, IBCLC, CHES
HSR & Educational Consultant   email: [log in to unmask]
- >