From:
Beth Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:51:44 -0500
Carol L'Esperance wrestled with a keyboard and this emerged:

> do not like the term "artificial baby milk" because it is not
> artificial. Webster defines artificial as " made by human work, not by
> nature; not natural. Most formula is made naturally because it is
> cow's milk, but it has been modified so that human infant's can
> tolerate it.

I believe that if you liked the term artificial you could certainly
justify its use.  The product has had quite a bit of work put into
it, removing the milk fat and replacing it with vegetable oil, adding
various and sundry vitamins, minerals, thickeners.  Just look at the
ads; practically every native element has been changed.  The
vernacular opposite of artificial is natural.  It certainly isn't
natural.  If we fed it to calves I doubt they would thrive.

Sorry I've no real answer for you, how about a tongue-in-cheek one:
store-bought vs. "mom"made.

regards,
Beth
who has struggled with the terms also, and ends up calling formula
formula, but the whole thing artificial feeding

--
Beth Johnson, CBE, Doula
Certified Breastfeeding Educator

"Beautiful words are not truthful,
 truthful words are not beautiful."--Lao Tzu