From:
Anita Bearzatto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2014 19:33:16 +1000
I had a similar case recently with my patient being told she had to stop breastfeeding before the surgeon would excise a suspicious breast lump.
I spoke to the surgeon regarding the reason for this recommendation and I also asked a second surgeon to get another opinion. Both said in most cases the excision of a lump can be delayed if suspicion for carcinoma is low so that breastfeeding is not interrupted. However, if suspicion is  high, then they said they preferred performing surgery on a "dry breast" for the following reasons.
In a "dry breast" they:
1. were more confident that they could obtain an adequate excision(architecture of the breast being different in the lactating breast)
2.  had lower rates of milk fistula

In my patient's case, I discussed with the surgeon the option of the mother temporarily stopping breastfeeding from the affected breast only preoperatively but continuing feeding from the other breast, with the plan to resume breastfeeding on the affected side after the surgery. The surgeon was happy for this to occur (I do not think it had occurred to the surgeon that this was an option). The surgeon was happy for me to assist and support the patient through this.

The mother was able to reduce feeds from the affected side but probably only ceased feeding on that side for less than one week before the surgery. She continued to successfully breastfeed from the other side. The lump was excised. The lesion was benign. I believe she restarted breastfeeding on the affected side a few days after the surgery and then built up her supply on that side from then on. No milk fistula occurred. The mother was satisfied with how the situation was dealt with and very pleased she was able to continue her breastfeeding experience.

In many communities the age of breastfeeding mothers is advancing and I believe the above scenario will increasingly occur. If there is significant suspicion, a lump will require excision, however, as this case demonstrates it is very helpful if the surgeon is willing to explore options to help the mother maintain lactation.

I would also like to hear of others' experiences with breast lump biopsies and excisions in lactating women.

Regards,

Anita Bearzatto
MBBS FRACGP IBCLC
General Practitioner