Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:42:42 EST
Rachel said,

<<While I am unaware of any evidence for its safety or  efficacy, I can
tell you that we have this substance in a glass jar in a  cupboard in the milk
kitchen on my ward and women are still having it daubed on  their cracked
nipples, with accompanying instructions that vary from "refrain  from
breastfeeding for 12 hours" (brilliant idea when this is done on day 3 or  4) >>

Anne Stiller (who is shyly on  this list) also remembered the green soap
and tincture of benzoin (interesting  to hear the other names!) reminded me of
taking babies out to their mamas every  four hours in a big cart that must
have held 6 or 8 babies.  We would  trundle them down the hall and make sure
each mother had a square of *clean*  paper between her bedsheets and the
baby or between her and the baby so the baby  wouldn't get contaminated.
(Anne and I were in the same class at the same  nursing school together.  I
won't tell you when we  graduated...)

And that reminded me of when I  worked at another hospital in the Detroit
area, teaching OB in the school of  nursing and having to admonish the
students to remember to fold the baby blanket  a certain way (you took the outside
one off, and gave the baby to the mother  with the clean inside one, then I
think we had to put the outside one back on  with the outside folded in.
Very complicated.

And oh, so very dumb.   But we didn't know.

Just as it made perfect sense  to not feed babies for the first 24 hours
while we rested their  stomachs.

So when you are beginning to think  that there will never be any changes,
harken back to the "good" old  days.

And to the physician that doesn't  believe in "tongue tie", point him to
the AAP/ACOG Physician's Handbook on  Breastfeeding, pp 209 & 210 where it
discusses the importance of clipping a  short frenulum.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA
Lactation Education  Consultants
_www.lactationeducation.com_ (http://www.lactationeducation.com/)