Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:20:54 -0500
Thank you lactnetters who responded to my last query re the drug ioquinal.

I have a question regarding how long a mother may expect to wean from the
sns. The mom gave me permission to post this question. Her baby is 7 weeks
old. She was born SGA, 4lbs, 15 oz, now 7 lbs, 3 oz. She is pumping and
feeding some formula, hasn't established a full supply. She and her husband
finger fed and now using sns for 2 weeks, she is afraid baby will cry too
much. Her baby's nurse practitioner suggested just going strictly to breast
and then they found out the baby needs surgery in 2 months for
craniostenosis. So mom is stressed out, also having Thanksgiving but says
her relatives will cook, and it's easier to have them visit her than her
travel.  So she wants to wail until Sun. I estimate it may take her 2-3
intnesive days of nursing and doing nothing else. Baby sucks fairly well at
ithis poing. Mom says she can't continue sns and pumping indefinetly so I
said if this doesn't work, maybe she can at least pump till baby is over
surgery. So, if anyone has direct experience with sns weaning and how long
it may take, this mom and I would greatly appreciate any input ASAP.  TIA
                               Ellen Bane Mahony, RN, MS, LCCE, IBCLC
                               Greenwood Lake, NY
Wishing all those who celebrate Thanksgiving a peaceful and happy day with
your families!