From:
Maureen Minchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 02:45:25 +1100
>Doctor stated her vision had deterioated due to the high level of hormones
>produced while breastfeeding.<

Don't know the answers here, but felt I should share the fact that I was
asked by an Italian LLL person what I thought of what she said was common
medical advice: that women with myopia of greater than 12 diopters
(whatever that may be) should not breastfeed or they will go blind...A new
variant on the "stop it or you will go blind" approach to anything remotely
sexually enjoyable perhaps?

AS one who wore glasses throughout lactations asting years and never
changed prescriptions until middle age made changes, I find this
entertaining. However, there may eb a history to explain it. Perhaps in
postwar Europe severely malnourished women lacked essential fatty acids of
vitamins and their conditon was exacerbated by breastfeeding's priority for
the baby?

Or is it fluid pressures in the eye? Who knows an opthalmologist?

Maureen

Maureen Minchin, IBCLC
5 St, George's Rd., Armadale Vic 3143 Australia
tel/fax after March 1: 61.3.95094929 or 95000648