From:
Sara Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:20:47 +0100
I've been searching the Lancet this morning to find letters / editorials etc
about the Sears study. Got totally sidetracked (as usual) and came across
this story. Now, wise ones, why on earth do you think that Nestle wants to
invest in providing clean water for so many families and also antidiarrhoeal
medicines?!!!!!!!!!

Somebody give me big bag of chocolates so I can drown my sorrows :-(

Sara Bernar
The Netherlands
(somebody has to provide clean water, but does it have to be THEM?)

"The Swiss mutlitnational food giant, Nestlé, committed last week what may
become known as the public-relations blunder of the decade. Nestlé shocked
many by demanding from Ethiopia return of US$6 million that the company
feels it is owed as "a matter of principle". In 1986, Nestlé had bought the
parent of a German company which the Ethopian Government had nationalised in
the 1970s. The Government had offered Nestlé US$1·5 million (at today's
exchange rates) as compensation, but the company, using the exchange rate at
the time of nationalisation, says the debt is now US$6 million.

The furore began on Dec 18 in an Oxfam press release highlighting Nestlé's
demand for the US$6 million. Seemingly, this led to a mellowing from the
company, who responded by saying that they are "very flexible about timing,
the amount, and modalities, but are not flexible about the principle".
Nestlé also said that it will invest the proceeds in Ethiopia in a project
that will benefit the country. A Nestlé spokesperson told The Lancet that
the news release by Oxfam was "totally unfair" and that it was the Ethopian
Government who had raised the issue in 2001, before when the company had not
made any claim.

In Ethiopia (see Lancet 2002; 360: 1952), one of the world's poorest
countries, the gross national income per head is US$100, life expectancy is
44 years, and the infant mortality rate per 1000 livebirths is 117. Oxfam
says that the US$6 million Nestlé wants would provide safe water for 1·5
million families or antidiarrhoeal medicines for 750 000 children in
Ethiopia. Nestlé made profits of US$3·9 billion last year. Christmas comes
but once a year, Nestlé. "