Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 08:04:19 EST
Just a quick note to advise you that my article "Just One Bottle" is also
available to be downloaded from the NABA web site,
www.naba-breastfeeding.org. Click on NABA REAL and go to the research section
where the PDF files are located.

Also, NABA's web site has information on the TRIGR trial on its News and
Alerts section. We published a warning about this research in our Spring 2002
newsletter. This trial is not about improving breastfeeding, it is a Mead
Johnson funded and initiated study of its Nutramigen formula. Both INFACT
Canada and NABA have repeatedly tried to secure the protocol for this study
and were refused. We are uncertain if the babies in the breastfed arm will
automatically be weaned to formula at 6 months or if they will be encouraged
to continue on breast milk. We also do not know if one arm of the study will
compare standard cow's milk based formula to the hydrolyzed formula. This is
a real boon to formula makers because if their "results" support using
hydrolyzed formula parents will have to pay the inflated price for it. In my
area Nutramigen ready to feed costs $7 a can and the powdered formula costs
$20 for a 16oz can. Remember that powdered formula is not sterile so this
puts babies at an even higher risk if they are given powdered formula.

NABA has cautioned health care providers about encouraging parents to sign up
for this trial until the full protocol can be determined.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA