Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 17:04:11 +0100
>From Clinics in Perinatology,  June 1999, 26(2):403.
>
>" Compared with current reference charts, breastfed infnts gain weight at a
>faster rate [than formula fed infants] for the first 2-3 months, then begin
>to decelerate the rate of gain..."  N. Powers, MD
>
>and from the same vol. pg 291
>
>"Pooled growth data from several countries now confirm that breastfed
>infants grow as well or more rapidly during the first 2 months of life, and
>less rapidly from 3-12 months, than current reference standards.  Thus,
>contrary to popular belief, faltering infant wieght in the early weeks of
>breastfeeding is not a normal pattern."  M. Neifert.

Barbara, clearly this may be helpful general guidance - though I would like
to see the data it is based on. I have read that WHO is still preparing
charts for exclusively bf babies as research is incomplete.

My concern is that in individual cases, merely looking at weight gain in
isolation  from other factors will not tell us anything - and we should be
neither alarmed nor reassured by it. I should add that I am not talking
about extremes - such as nil weight gain or weight loss, or continuously
low weight gain.

A weight gain of 3 and a half ounces a week in a baby of under three weeks
- the original scenario -  could be normal,  *for that baby*.  Mothers'
confidence in bf can be very fragile, and assuming that this situation
merits active intervention (as opposed to observation, support and sharing
of information) can affect it.  Active intervention I would define as test
weighing, expressing/pumping, supplementing.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK