From:
Rominger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 22:16:15 -0700
Dear Lactnetters,

I'm a BF counselor with Nursing Mothers Counsel in Santa Cruz, CA.

I'm working with a mom whose baby is now 4 weeks old.  I started working
with her when baby was two days old and wouldn't latch-on.  Mom and dad
said they were willing to do ANYTHING to make BFing successful and
ABSOLUTELY didn't want to give him formula.  Baby was tongue thrusting
(he had NOT been given any bottles and wasn't really interested in a
pacifier).  Occasionally, he would latch on, but only for a few sucks
and then he would spit out the nipple and push mom away.  I worked with
her for a couple of weeks with no success.  In the meantime, I started
mom pumping and finger feeding.  However, mom was supplementing with
formula at night.

I went to see mom and baby again when baby was about 3 weeks.  Mom was
concerned because in a few days she would be by herself with the baby
during the day.  Also, I had a feeling that we didn't get this baby
bfing before her husband went back to work, she would give it up.  I had
mom pump for a couple of minutes to make sure that if he did latch on he
would get milk more quickly.  We put him to the breast and got the usual
response.  I went to get a nipple shield and when I came back he was
nursing!!!!!????  He nursed for ten min. on one side and 5 on the
other.  I was VERY happy.  Not only did he latch on, but mom had done it
by herself.

I called the next day and they were back to the bottle.  I don't get it!

She says she wants do whatever is necessary, but she won't pump often
enough to maintain an adequate milk supply.  Also, she's not willing to
try for more than a few minutes to get him latched on.  She says
absolutely no formula, but without enough EBM...

After all of this, my question is "What more can I do?".  I've told her
what she needs to do to make BFing work.  There is nothing physically
wrong with either mom or baby.  Mom says she just doesn't like to hear
him cry.

Any input???

Thank you,
Debbie Rominger