From:
Pearl Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 00:11:51 PST
 Some women who have had this problem find that they need to breastfeed
on schedule; the theory being that there is "break through bleeding"
because of minute hormone shifts that occur when breastfeeding is
erratic, and that the hormones will "balance" when the breastfeeding
hormone shifts are more regular.
Of course, this never would have worked with me, since my kids had no
schedule, and I never could or would put them on one! But it may be
worth a try for Toby's client.
Another thing to look at: sometimes skin tags in the vaginal area can
cause bleeding when they are irritated and the mom is told that she is
bleeding bec. of breastfeeding. I know, because this happened to me. My
OB did NOT pick up the unhealed skin tag at the six week check up and I
continued to have "spotting" or "staining". Guess what, this was from
the skin tag. Guess who picked it up- ME - when intercourse continued to
be painful. This was an "oops" that the OB missed. A simple cauterization
took care of THAT problem. Hey, did I even know that skin tags could be
caused by the birth process? Heck no.

I'd be curious to know what type of "vaginal" bleeding this mom is
having, anyway. What else is going on? As far as this being a problem
for Orthodox women, sometimes a rabbi will be more sympathetic than the
doctor seems to be and the mother should consult her particular
rabbi/leader/teacher for the solution to the continued problem. There
are often extenuating circumstances that the rabbi takes into
consideration, unlike the MD who doesn't seem to have ANY consideration
for this mother and her family. How about suggesting a second opinion?

Some "naturally" oriented nutritionists recommend folic acid to control
the "breakthrough" bleeding; also VIT C and bioflavinoids.
Good luck, Toby, with this...
Pearl Shifer, IBCLC