From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 12:30:22 +0900
  As far as the issue of
>the baby possibly getting too much foremilk, Mom reports breasts are very
>well drained at each feed and EBM at end of feed is very rich and
>creamy-definatly different from milk at start of feed.  Not to mention that
>baby is thriving beautifully-wouldn't an excess of foremilk result in a less
>than desirable weight gain? Please advise.

Not necessarily. I have seen many cases of oversupply (not just foremilk
excess, but overall too much milk) where babies are packing on the weight,
but are miserable little beings, wanting to suck all the time. In many
cases, the mothers perceive that they have insufficient milk because their
breasts always seem to be 'empty' (baby continually taking it), and babies
are wakeful and 'asking' to feed all the time (wanting to suck because of
tummy ache). The give-away clue is the amount coming out of the baby at the
other end!

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]