From:
Anna Swisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 19:04:30 -0600
I, too, am appalled at the # of women taught to do this, and not just by
nurses. What seems to help parents "get it" either prenatally, or pp, is
when I hold the baby's neck and shoulder and point out how his or her head
won't fall off, because it's attached. Then I put my chin on my chest and
encourage the parents to do that too. "Now try to open wide. Now try to
swallow."  The lights really go on when they try doing it themselves. I also
talk about respecting the baby's head--that it is probably sore, and who
would like to have their head pushed into their dinner? Also, the head is
second in sensitivity to the mouth--if we push on the head or mess with it,
it may cause the baby to come off and root elsewhere. How many of us have
had babies come off the breast because our voice and proximity are
distracting?

Humor and involving the parents' own bodies seem to help a lot. Stressing
gently pressing baby's shoulders/back into mom and leaving the head alone,
seems a kinder, gentler approach. And after most of the birth trauma in a US
hospital, they sadly need that. Sometimes moms are hesitant to snug the baby
in. It helps to remind them that baby has been snuggled up to her for 9
months and usually loves it:-)

Anna Swisher, MBA, IBCLC
Abundant Blessings
Austin, TX