From:
Helen Vermilya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:08:16 -0400
Bonny,
I know nothing about the Latham device, but I just wanted to make a
comment.  We have a very good plastic surgeon, but he does not allow any of
the baby's with any cleft whether large or small to breastfeed.  In fact he
want Lamb's nipples to be used, not even a Haberman feeder (unless he has
changed very recently).  He doesn't want the baby to tire and to get
adequate nutrition to tolerate the surgery.
I gave him information on Breastfeeding the baby with a Cleft Lip and/or
Palate, but did not see any change.
Does anyone have good articles to send him that are written by MDs with
lots of good references?  Sorry I believe he will only listen to this kind
of work.

Helen RNC IBCLC
from PA where the drought has been declared an emergency