From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:52:47 +0100
Rachel

You ask an interesting question.  It is widely estimated that 600 000
children become infected with HIV every year, all but a few as a result of
transmission from infected mothers. The rule of thumb is that, of those,
one-third acquire the virus in utero, one-third during labour and birth,
and one-third during breastfeeding - thus 200 000 would be estimated to
acquire HIV through breastfeeding.

However, this figure may need to be questioned.   As we know, there is
breastfeeding and there is breastfeeding. Anna Coutsoudis and colleagues in
South Africa found that when babies were exclusively breastfed for 3
months, there was NO increased risk of transmission at six months compared
to babies who had been exclusively formula fed.  She found that what posed
the major risk was not breastfeeding per se, but *mixed* breastfeeding with
other foods and liquids.  A similar finding has recently been confirmed by
researchers in Zimbabwe, who found that in the group of babies who were
exclusively breastfed for three months, late postnatal transmission
(attributable to breastfeeding) accounted for only 1%, 3% and 7% of
transmission at 6, 12 and 18 months respectively - half the rate of mixed
feeding.

To date there have been no studies published to show rates of transmission
for babies exclusively breastfed for a full six months in accordance with
up to date global recommendations, but the possibilties would seem to be
promising.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England
Co-coordinator, WABA Task Force on HIV and Infant Feeding